Monday, January 12, 2009

Why we shouldn't see plastic surgeons

This story should perhaps have a better name....but you know what, I'm really not going to try very hard with this post, I'm feeling pissy and raw today.

A year ago, after fantasizing about this option for many years, I finally consulted a plastic surgeon for my "baby belly". Due to my Ehler Danlos, my skin is somewhat more stretched out and my stretch marks are more extreme than most womens and I had become markedly more self conscious over this area of my body for a variety of reasons and my husband became supportive of this effort as well. He felt that maybe it would be a way to once and for all fix my body image issues and felt that it would be worth the money to have Ed gone from our lives forever.

This is what a visit to the plastic surgeon is like:

First all the staff make a point of telling you how wonderful and talented Dr. So and So is and how he did "their various surgeries" and how "their various surgeries" changed their lives. Then you quickly find yourself naked and photographed. You then peruse various before and after photographs of other women in unglamorous photo shoots.

Then this is what the doctor does--

He examines (pulls) on the offensive area... I swear he pulled it out past my knees! All the while saying things like.. wow, there is ALOT of EXTRA skin here... I can feel SO MUCH deep FAT here... you are so thin everywhere else... I don't understand why you have so much FAT here, and finally the kicker... we're going to have to remove A LOT of fat. By the time he was done touching me I wanted nothing else than to cover up my midsection and run crying from the room.

Turns out there was no way to afford the surgery, because with my Ehler Danlos I was not even a good candidate for plastic surgery and would require additional precautions. So I was left, feeling greater body self consciousness and no options. Needless to say, I relapsed and I relapsed bad.

But you know what, in two weeks, I got myself together and was PISSED. I was pissed that this man could say these things to me. Could make me feel this way. And could treat me this way just to turn a buck.

Thats all- no brilliance this morning-- just a little pissiness.
-------------
It is evening and I am ready to add my brilliance....

we have to be able to protect ourselves when no one else will. We have to be smarter. We can not walk into these situations. We can not allow ourselves to put ourselves into STUPID situations where we will trigger. Life is full of situations that will always make us vulnerable. To willingly WALK INTO a situation like that is just plain stupid. Again-- BE NOT STUPID.

No comments: