Saturday, June 27, 2009

Perfect

I will admit,

this word as yet escapes my lips too easily.

In reflecting on this... I still hold myself to such things as...

Perfect hair
Perfect demeanor
Perfect lecture
Perfect answers to any questions
Perfect house
Perfect smile
A perfect day without mistakes.

And as I grow and become Amy I accept that I am still a wild child, loose and free and rambling. So often stumbling and getting up. And clumsy and silly. And that I say things that are far from perfect, but are sometimes poetic or brilliant or helpful to others (or in fact utterly stupid or confusing). But, all in all, it doesn't matter. Because what matters, is that I am me. And I have fought hard in so many ways to be me, that who I am is non-negotiable now. I have protected myself from relationships that did not allow it. I have left jobs and employers that did not allow me to be me, and when I couldn't I learned how to put up mental blocks in those places. I have left Ed who cruelly discouraged me from being the real me.

It is time to ban this word from my vocabulary.

There is no such thing as perfect.....

and I don't want to be. I want REAL.

3 comments:

HappyOrganist said...

think 'complete' instead of 'w/o mistake' or 'no room for progression or learning more'.
that's my definition of perfect (very obscure) - 'complete' .. some kinda complete
i have no idea what it means (i can't define it cognitively) - but it is much more achievable (maybe already achieved) than "impossible to improve upon" (or "no more room to learn or grow") - which definition I simply no longer believe in. we're always going to be growing and learning (here and beyond, is my personal opinion). so toss out 'perfect' and replace it with a new definition (either redefine it or use a new word). ;-D
There are so many people in my world (LDS faith) [and other faiths as well, i imagine] who have a hard time with this "have to be perfect" mentality. We are taught that quite a lot at our church. And it is often misunderstood, in my opinion. We don't even believe we CAN be flawless (or not make mistakes) - so when we're taught in church to "be perfect" - it can't possibly mean that. but we forget (or learn it wrong) and hold ourselves to impossibly high expectations.
It's really depressing.
much better when it's redefined, relearned, and understood (dare i say - 'correctly')
hahah

my spin on 'perfect'

p.s.
I almost like your comment on 'fine' (but the swear was a big turn off).
But when people ask how I am doing, I tell them. ("hi, i feel pretty crummy" or "kind of tired" or "exhausted" or "great")
if they ask how I'm doing, I'm happy to answer (and if they wanted to hear "fine" then they shouldn't have asked). hahahah
[most people probably do care, though, and don't just want 'fine']
;-)

Amy said...

extremely interesting perspectives, thank you for sharing! i think there are many ways that holding ourselves to unreasonable standards affects us as humans. (And for me not allowing some swearing in my writing from time to time is an imperfect standard! But, I think you understood the point!)

HappyOrganist said...

oh, I"m all for a little swearing, just not that much (or those words) ;-)
;-P