Friday, October 17, 2008

My other ED

Today I was reminded of the other ED (ironic, eh?) that shapes my life...

Ehler Danlos Hypermobility Syndrome.

Today required a lot of pain medication, and a lot of patience with myself to get through. But it was such a powerful reminder to me of why my body needs good care: good food, rest, appropriate exercise and needs a careful caretaker and guardian. It is such a simple condition to treat (for me at least), but only if the one in charge (ME!) is really paying attention and doing what she needs to do.

By being more responsive and a better listener of my body's cues, I am also in a better position to not go from bad to worse right now. A common problem of individuals with chronic pain is not knowing when to stop or modify an excacerbating activity- or when to slow down. But for people with ED's we are especially disconnected from our bodies- often not recognizing, or learning to ignore feelings, hunger and pain. Because I have become a more astute listener of my body, I will not push my body this weekend, I will know that I have to rest, take a break from my usual workout routine, avoid lifting anything heavy and respond with ice, heat, wraps and medication. And by monday.... WE (as in me and my body) will be all better.
----------------
It is ironic though, that I do have a condition which requires me to essentially maintain and monitor my weight. However- by building muscle I have strengthened my joints allowing me to find an ideal range that my body can seem to support without pain. I really am hopeful that I have found my "set point" as the nutritionist said. And I am hoping to move into using the book Intuitive Eating as my guide within the next 3 months or so.

No comments: