Thursday, October 30, 2008

I went to the river today

And as I watched the deep waters running to the ocean,

it occurred to me how much of our fight, is about something

as simple

as water.

In reality, a great deal of the "fat" that we fight, and the excessive battle with bloating, and rebound weight, is little more than water weight. And the precious balance of liquids in our bodies, be it through anorexic or purging means, is something we dangerously throw off. A difference in size, or weight, or perceived "bulginess" that only we are capable of perceiving, sometimes as little as a pound or two, can create a psychological breakdown.

Water.

I could have died so many times because of water.

Yet women and children in Africa
today, as I write, walk miles, risking their lives
for clean water,
or not so clean water
risking attack by militia, rape, kidnapping,
lions
and food poisoning/disease by drinking the water they bring home.
And yet I would fight for years, to deny by bodies cells
absorption of this resource essential to life
which I have in bounteous resource.

DRINK UP

No comments: