Saturday, July 11, 2009

Grace

I was challenged this week to give myself grace.

I will admit, as part of my nature, and my standards for myself this is a concept that not only is foreign to me, but one I shrug off as perhaps counterproductive in reaching my goals.

-Grace-

What is it?

"a disposition to kindness and compassion"

"favor or good will"

"mercy, pardon, clemency"

.....................................................................

In my ever expanding search and desire to become stronger, smarter, wiser, it is hard for me to stop, to breathe, to slow down. It is hard for me to accept my frailities, my weaknesses and my gaps in my development too. I was challenged two weeks ago by the question:

"why do you think you are impervious to harm?"

Yet I did not fully understand this question or this insight.
..................................................................

I was conducting a year end focus group of my program last night. While I listened to the participants post mortem of their experience, I knew that many of their criticisms were indeed issues that were things within my control and that had been problems because of my own limitations this year. Things I had been unable to "get together". I began to feel increasingly bad about my performance and how it had impacted them.

But then I remembered, the many intense stressors I have endured in the past 6 months. Many of which I have yet to perhaps allow myself to rest and fully recover from- some of which the very same day I was still dealing with. And I remembered, yes, I was not impervious to harm. My work had suffered from these events, as it should have. I was allowed this.

And,

I gave myself grace.
......................................................

In our daily lives, I think many of us are quite brutal to ourselves in our expectations of what we should be able to do and survive. Many of us do not allow ourselves to rest, to feel, to hurt when we need to. Many of us do not allow ourselves to be human. And as I have said before, being human is messy business.

In what ways do you not see your own humanity? If you were to give yourself grace today, what would it look like?

Thank you my dear friends, for pointing out my weaknesses as I continue along my very humbling journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVxzEueJ6A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your reflections on giving yourself grace are definately the harder part of recovery. For me to see my performance , and then reflect and say "yeah, I was affected by what is going on inside me in my healing process which is a big job even though no one really sees it; and my job performance was what it was. And that is different than my level of assiprations I have for myself.
Wow!
I know that at different times I have denied my feelings and performed really well , yet really did not posssess the quality of life I have now. I would rather manage the reality of the pain in the present moment and accept the stark limitations I have living in this world and wrestle with the power and love of amazing grace.
Thanks Amy.

Amy said...

thank you for your comments. There are times when we do have to remember that recovery is our most important job too and we have to make it 9and ourselves) our number one priority. I agree, and that is another important time to give ourselves grace. That is a wonderful reflection. Thanks for pointing that out.