Sunday, February 1, 2009

on coming out to people

Lately I have become so accustomed to being a Recoverer and reaching out to people as a Recoverer, that I have more and more become used to bringing it up and mentioning it to people. Yet I have forgotten perhaps how startling it is for people. I am at a crossroads in figuring out how to deal with this. Last night I mentioned it to an acquaintance over drinks as it was important context for a broader story I was telling. And I didn't really wish to go on a tangent and reveal more than the fact that I was "an eating disorder recoverer". Yet for her, I could see the surprise, discomfort, alarm and tentative curiosity. She danced "gently" between probing and avoiding. I think we have to continue to remember others comfort levels.

However, what I have decided is that I do not necessarily have to make peace with my past (in so many ways) but i do have to make peace with my present. And my present and my future is this- I am an Eating Disorder Recoverer. This is a real label that right now I wear. It is an important part of my soul and a guiding part of my future endeavors. As another friend repeatedly tells me, if I am ashamed and look down on myself, and model this through my words and actions, how do I expect others to treat me and those who suffer.

We are everywhere, we are your sisters, your teachers, your daughters, your friends, your colleagues, your mothers, your wives and lovers.

No comments: