Saturday, February 7, 2009

About these meetings

I am really excited to be organizing the first EDA meetings for CT. This assumes you have recieved information ELSEWHERE or I referred you to my blog after you contacted me.

I am not a therapist, I am in solid strong recovery and am motivated strongly to reach out to others and provide a safe place to meet and connect with others. Recovery can be very lonely, but it doesn't have to be. I was frustrated during my time in counseling that there was nothing like this for me. I commited to myself that once I was strong enough in my own recovery I would find a way to offer this kind of opportunity to others.

I will be helping facilitate it, but the goal is for each individual to find their voice and for the group to eventually guide itself. We will be using the meeting guidelines published by EDA which I will provide at the first meeting. I will always help with the meeting location and any logistical problems the group encounters. But remember, you own your recovery and your behavior!

EDA uses religious language in the 12 steps, each individual is free to interpret this as a higher presence or even their own internal source of guidance.

Anyone who is currently suffering from an eating disorder is free to attend. As the facilitator, I will be very clear that anybody who feels that food, eating or weight obsessions is something for which they want to receive help from peers in exploring is welcome to be with the group: This includes anorexia, bulimia and bingers/overeaters, and those "not otherwise specified"- (like me ya'll!) Sometimes this requires a stretch into zones that we are not familiar with, but trust me, there are commonalities and we can connect in deep and meaningful ways.

Let me say again how excited and proud I am of you, and how much I am looking forward to meeting you!

No comments: